Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Soliloquy: Balance




I don’t care what the world thinks about me, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to put my best foot forward and try and create a good impression. So what must I do, how much of my life do I let the world dictate and how much of it should I live according to my own terms? Where, oh where can I find the perfect balance?

Do I wear what the society wants me to wear or do I adorn my own choice, do I find a piece of society approved clothing of my own choice? What about the choice of my friends, do I go for the same gender, same class and same age, sticking to the status quo, or do I break the barriers and befriend those whom I like irrespective of there age, gender and social class?

I don’t know, where will I find the balance when it comes to my career, shall I chose the less trodden path which I so much desire and am so passionate about, or do I take up that job that my family wants me to see in so that they may feel secure about my future?

Why do I have to put up with that nosy uncle just out of respect because that’s what the culture demands, why do I have to simply smile when he asks me the most private question and makes distasteful remarks on my looks? Why can’t I speak my mind when I want to?

What part of my life do I let the world take over and what part do I keep out of bounds? Is there ever a balance, or is it just a compromise…